Port Moody Soccer (internal) Training Opportunities
The Port Moody Soccer Club hosts various training opportunities for our coaches throughout the year.
Our internal training offerings for the coming season are currently being determined, and Coaches will be notified once these have been finalized, and information will be posted on this page.
BC Soccer Coaching Certification
To register to attend a BC Soccer Coaching Certification course, please CLICK HERE
Coach education and certification is a major priority for BC Soccer. Having coaches complete the appropriate age specific coaching course is imperative for the development of youth players in BC for both the grassroots and competitive ages, and at both our recreational and development level environments. The Canada Soccer / BC Soccer Coaching Certification Courses provide coaches with the appropriate tools to create the most positive environment possible for player development. In support of coach education, BC Soccer has the follow requirement of all Head Coaches:
- Head Coaches of any youth team shall complete the appropriate Canadian Soccer Association / BC Soccer coaching course respective to the age group of the team(s) they are currently coaching (Note: compliance with this rule will be as of June 1, 2016).
- Head Coaches shall comply with this requirement within 6 (six) months of their Head Coach appointment. CSA foreign equivalency may be applied
For information, details, costs, schedules, etc. on the various BC Soccer Coaching Certification courses please visit their website at https://www.bcsoccer.net/register-for-a-course. Coaches will be required to be certified at the level they are coaching, so if you are coaching multiple teams at different age levels, then different certifications are required. Certification does not expire, and courses are not ‘progressive’, meaning that you do not need the previous levels of certification; and additionally, achieving higher age levels of certification do not eliminate the need for a lower age level of certification if that is the age you are coaching – for example, if you are coaching a U9 team, you will need the ’Learn to Train’ certification, but you will not need to take the U7-U8 FUNdamentals course first, nor does having the U13+ Soccer for Life certification eliminate the need for the U9 Learn to Train certification. Certification does not expire. Below is a list of the certifications needed for each age level.
- U5-U6 – ActiveStart certification
- U7-U8 – FUNdamentals Certification
- U9-U12 – Learn to Train certification
- U13-U18 – Soccer for Life certification
Coaches wishing to complete and be reimbursed for the BC Soccer ‘Licensing Stream’ coaching certification courses such as a C, B or A License, should contact the Director of Coaching Certification to submit an approval request to the PMSC Board of Directors.
The Port Moody Soccer Club will cover the costs of all PMSC Coaches for BC Soccer ‘Community Stream’ coaching clinic registration fees upon successful completion of the course. Each year, PMSC will organize and host various courses, and so all coaches who attend will need to simply attend to receive certification (no registration fees paid). However, if you are unable to attend a course hosted by PMSC, you can attend a course offered by another club (if they are offering open registration) at any time of the year; and upon completion, simply submit your certification along with your payment receipt to the PMSC Treasurer for reimbursement.
BC Soccer is the governing body for soccer in BC, and has tailored the Coach Education Program and developed their Coach Pathway Model to complement the Canadian Soccer Association’s Soccer Pathway Model looking at Long Term Player Development (LTPD). For more information, visit the BC Soccer and Canada Soccer websites.
Other Coach Certification Programs
There are a multitude of coach training and certification programs that can be taken by coaches, and PMSC encourages coaches to continue coach development throughout your coaching career. Some courses are complementary and some have registration fees; and in some cases PMSC will also cover the costs of these additional courses – please contact PMSC Head of Soccer Operations to submit an approval request.
Here are a few courses recommended:
- Making Ethical Decisions (MED) - Making Ethical Decisions (MED) module is offered through the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP). Successful completion of the MED online evaluation is necessary for certification status in the NCCP database. MED course training is not necessary to take the evaluation test but you only have two tries at the test if you don’t complete the course. For more info and registration: Making Ethical Decisions (MED). Please complete the “Competition-Development module”. PMSC will provide reimburse fees for PMSC coaches to complete this course.
- Keeping Girls in Sport (information coming soon)
- Making Head Way in Soccer (information coming soon)
- Goalkeeping Diploma (information coming soon)
- Respect in Sport (information coming soon)